Date: January 4, 1999
Question: "What is challenging the U.S. Dollar as the world's reserve currency?"
Answer: The Euro or the currency of agreed choice by eleven countries.
From eleven currencies to one liquid monetary unit, the Euro debutted auspiciously as it gained relative to the dollar.
Advantages of the new euro include:
Potential problems include:
- Minimization of intra-group hedging costs
- Portfolio effect of unit's volatility reduction
- Serious contender for World's Primary Currency
- Simpler and quicker pricing of securities belonging to bloc
- New generic monetary standard
For more information, stay tuned for upcoming feature articles. Or, contact us now.
- Greater friction between politics and economics
- Reluctance to act as Principal Reserve Currency
- Displacements of local or perceived key industries
- One liquidity adjustment affects all
- Nationalistic discontent could lead to Balkanization of the unit
Enter the Sam Sez Archives
Our Mission |
About Barkley International Inc. |
Contacting Us |
| OASIS® Home |
Copyright © 1998-2003 Barkley International Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Page created Tuesday, May 19, 1998 by Oasis Management®. Last Modified on Saturday, August 17, 2019.